Do you Have Your Director ID?
On 2 November 2021 applications for Director ID have opened and more than 2,000 people applied for the Director ID within the first few hours of applications being opened.
A unique director identification number (Director ID) will be assigned to a Director for life. Assigning Director ID aims to prevent the use of fictitious identities, help establish Directors’ links to companies and in turn establish any unlawful activity such as illegal phoenixing activity.
You need a director ID if you're a director of a:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- Corporate trustee, for example, of a self-managed super fund
- Charity or not-for-profit organisation that is a company or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- Registered Australian body, for example, an incorporated association that is registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and trades outside the state or territory in which it is incorporated
- Foreign company registered with ASIC and carrying on business in Australia (regardless of where you live).
Step 1 – Set up myGov ID
You will need a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength to apply for your director ID online. If you live outside Australia and can’t get a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength, you will need to apply with a paper form and provide certified copies of your identity documents. If you live in Australia and:
- Don’t have a myGovID, you can find information on how to download the app at How to set up myGovID
- Already have a myGovID, you can apply for your director ID now.
Step 2 – Gather Required Documents
You will need to have some information the ATO knows about you when you apply for your director ID:
- Your tax file number (TFN)
- Your residential address as held by the ATO
- Information from two documents to verify your identity such as:
- Bank account details
- An ATO Notice of assessment
- Super account details
- A dividend statement
- A Centrelink payment summary
- A PAYG payment summary (this is different to your income statement, and/or your PAYG instalment activity statement).
Step 3 – Complete Your Application through myGov
Once you have a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength, and information to verify your identity, you can log in and apply for your director ID. The application process should take less than 5 minutes.
It is free to apply and applications can also be made by phone and by paper if the Director is not able to obtain myGovID.
When you must apply for your director ID depends on the date you become a director.
Date you become a director
Date you must apply
On or before 31 October 2021
By 30 November 2022
Between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022
Within 28 days of the appointment
From 5 April 2022
For more information on Director IDs, don’t hesitate to contact our office.